The storing or transporting of chemicals in a plastic RotoTank is regulated by strict chemical storage regulations that dictate mandatory specifications for both chemical containers & storage thereof.
In this article, we investigate Specific Gravity (S.G.) as well as answer the 3 top questions to ask for chemical storage and whether the Roto Tank™ plastic tank option of up to 40,000 litres complies with chemical storage regulations:
- What is S.G. of a plastic RotoTank™ tank?
Specific Gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance; equivalently, it is the ratio of the mass of a substance to the mass of an equal volume of distilled water @ 4 degrees C. also known as Relative Density.
The S.G. of water is 1 and a substance with a weight of one to one and a half times that of weight of water – will have a S.G. of 1.5
- How does S.G. apply to the chemical containers & storage?
According to chemical storage regulations, a plastic tank should be graded according to the S.G. of the substances they are designed to store. The dedicated S.G therefore has a direct impact on the safe storage in chemical containers of chemicals. Simply put, storing a chemical with a high S.G. in a plastic tank that is not made for that purpose – is likely to cause failure of that plastic tankl.
Know how to calculate S.G.
To ensure compliance with chemical storage regulations, it is advisable to consult a chemical storage expert about the S.G. of the chemical before it is stored or transported in a plastic RotoTank™ tank. Click here to speak to a RotoTank™ chemical expert now.
The S.G. of a Roto Tank™ plastic tank is graded as follows:
- Water tank – S.G. 1.0
- Medium tank – S.G. 1.4
- Chemical tank – G 1.6
- Extra Heavy tank – S.G. 1.8
- Density = Mass/Volume
3. What substances can be stored and transported in the RotoTank™ plastic tank?
RotoTank™ offers vertical and horizontal transport chemical containers & storage tanks that are graded for storage of water, foodstuffs and heavy chemicals. There is a suitable plastic tank for all storage purposes or requirements of the following applications, for example:
- Storing & holding all chemical materials, including petrol & diesel fuels
- Ideal for fertilizer & chemical processors or processes
- Suitable for & farmers oil & petroleum producers
- Water harvesting or storage
- Food FDA graded for storing & transporting food oils
RotoTank™ plastic tank specifications:
RotoTank™ offers both vertical and horizontal designed chemical containers & storage containers. The design of every plastic tank provides for the potential risks of storing chemicals. As a result, all RotoTank™ chemical containers & storage tanks are designed to suit the purpose and to conform as follows:
- 8-Year UV protection warranty
- Safeguarded from chemical reaction versus Polyethylene plastic resin
- Enables easy storing or transporting of chemical bulk
- Thicker walls to safeguard against unexpected leaks & bursting