Installing a water tank is a great way to keep your garden green and your water wastage low. Harvested rainwater supplied by a 5000L water tank can in fact be used for a multitude of consumption types, including:
- Human consumption (drinking)
- Cooking and the cleaning of fresh produce
- Housework and domestic or industrial cleaning services
- Municipal consumption such as bathing and laundry washing
- Sanitation (flushing of toilets)
- Irrigation for both agricultural and domestic establishments
- Water for livestock (farming) and/or pets (domesticated)
- Water features, koi ponds and other manmade water pools
Ideal for the harvesting of rainwater and other collection sources, vertical water storage tanks can be used by domestic households, agricultural homesteads or industrial establishments intended to reduce overall water consumption and unnecessary wastage, but how do you calculate what size water storage tank you need and what are the different water tank prices?
When looking to harvest rainwater through the use of recycling bins, intended as a source of municipal back up, calculate the number of litres you will need per day by the number of days you will need your supply to last. If the average household consumes around 300 litres of water used for municipal purposes per day, a 5000L water tank should sustain the average municipal consumption of around 17 days.
Of course if needed to, most households are able to significantly reduce their average water consumption by simply being aware of the predominant consumption sources and becoming conscious of limiting this during times of use.
Here are some interesting water consumption stats to consider when next making use of municipal uses of water;
- 1 to 2 average depth baths per day can use between 60 and 180 litres of water.
- 1 shower at 15 litres per minute for 7 minutes long can use up to 105 litres of water per shower.
- A dual flush toilet consumes 4 or 9 litres of water per flush.
- Average consumption through cooking and drinking water is calculated at about 15 litres per average household.
- An average wash basin for sanitary or dish washing purposes is filled with up to 40 litres of water per basin.
Now that you know how much water you would need to sustain the average municipal consumption, how long will it take for your 5000l water tank to fill? As a vertical water storage tank typically harvests rainwater collected via rain gutter systems, collection volumes are influenced by the surface area of the roof used during catchment and of course the annual rainfall.
Calculate the ideal size water tank according to the size of roof that will be used during harvesting.
See the following sample measurements:
- 50 to 100 Square meter roof = 750L to 2200L
- 200 to 400 Square meter roof = 2500L to 10 000L
Water tank prices vary based on the size and capacity of the vertical water recycling bins. RotoTank offers customised solutions based on your unique water harvesting needs, size requirements and budget.
Submit an enquiry to RotoTank for a tailored solution to fit your requirements without limiting your tanks intended purpose.